Let us show you a smorgasbord of what makes Lesotho such a special place. This is the classic trip, experiencing the Lodges who pioneered tourism in Lesotho and who are still at the cutting edge!! We spend 2 nights at each of three classic destinations, giving you 4 travel days through spectacular scenery and a full day at each of the Lodges we stay at where you can choose how you spend each day.
Day 1 Depart in our 4×4 via Underberg, Matatiele entering Lesotho through the scenic pass of Qachas Nek. We follow the beautiful deep valley of Lesotho’s main river, the Senqu (Orange). We then take the brand new road crossing the Senqu and its main tributary, the Senqunyane over massive bridges before climbing up, up and further up into the mountains. Arrive at Semonkong in the afternoon and settle in at Semonkong Lodge.
Day 2 Your day at Semonkong. Activity options (not included in the tour price) include:
- viewing or hiking (guided or self-guided) to the impressive Maletsunyane Falls which tumble 200m into the carved gorge below.
- Semonkong Lodge’s speciality, abseiling down the Falls in what the Guinness Book of records has certified as the longest commercial abseil in the world
- Another of their specialities, pony trekking
- A demonstration of Basotho Blankets
- A donkey Pub Crawl
Day 3 Travel north from Semonkong over more stunning mountain passes, dropping down via Roma and on to the cradle of the Basotho nation, the mountain fortress of Thaba Bosiu. climb the mountain with a local guide who recreates the days of the founding king of Lesotho, Moshoeshoe the Great. We travel on south to Malealea Lodge.
Day 4 Your day at Malealea. Activity options (not included in the tour price) include:
- Pony Trekking – these guys were the pioneers of community pony trekking in Lesotho. A pony trek is one way of enjoying this wonderful area where lowlands meet highlands.
- Hiking – guided or self-guided
- Mountain biking – venture into the mountains, trails to suit all levels – single tracks, gravel roads, climbs and descents with spectacular views accompanied by local guide with knowledge of the routes and bicycle maintenance.
- Children’s choir and band with their home-made instruments.
Day 5 First stop after leaving is Morija and the only Museum in Lesotho which we visit to understand what makes Lesotho tick! On to Maseru, the nation’s capital for lunch, then crafters in Maseru, Teyateyaneng and Leribe before arriving at Maliba Lodge in Ts’ehlanyane National Park.
Day 6 Full day in Ts’ehlanyane. Activity options (not included in the tour price) include:
- Hiking to crystal clear pools and cascading waterfalls
- Pony trekking in the Park
- A village visit with Maliba Lodge to the nearby Ha Mali village.
- A massage treatment at their Wellness Centre.
Day 7 Travel via Butha Buthe to Liphofung Cultural Reserve. Climb out of the lowlands up Moteng Pass, coffee at Oxbow, then the Roof of Africa route, via Afri-ski, the diamond mine, past Mokhotlong and via the Sani Pass down to Sani Lodge.
Accommodation is in dormitories at Semonkong, en suite accommodation at Malealea and the Riverside Huts (Mountainside Retreat in winter) at Maliba. Supplement to upgrade at Semonkong.
Activities are NOT included in the tour price. There are many possibilities and you can make your own choices. Abseiling at Semonkong needs to be arranged ahead of time, other activities can be decided upon as you travel.
SEE HOW YOUR VISIT EMPOWERS LOCAL COMMUNITIES